Something Sweet: A Valentine’s Recipe
Stained Glass Valentine Cookies
Love is a little Sweet!
This recipe is one of Jen’s favorites. It’s equally delicious, as it is beautiful!
- 1½ cups softened butter
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean opened and seeds scraped out
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1½ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 3¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 40-50 red hard candies such as lifesavers or Jolly Ranchers
- Sift together flour, salt and cardamom spice.
- Using electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy- about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean, mix well, then add eggs and orange zest.
- Add flour mix a bit at a time, blend together until combined.
- Cut dough into 3 disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 F.
- Crush hard candies ( I put candies in heavy duty ziploc bag and pound with meat hammer)
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper ( must use parchment paper or cookies with stick)
- On floured surface roll dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut out large hearts, then with smaller heart cookie cutter cut smaller heart inside of large heart
- Place cookies on cookie sheet.
- Fill centre of heart with crushed candies being careful not to spill candies onto cookie dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Just until edges start to brown.
- Cool completely before removing from parchment paper.
Recipe courtesy of Art and The Kitchen