COVID-19 Response Plan & FAQs
We are open as of June 26th, 2020!
At Basin Harbor, we believe in finding time to be still, even in a fast paced world. Here on the relaxing shores of Lake Champlain we practice what we like to call “active tranquility.” You can do as little or as much as you want in a day here at the resort. We encourage you to “have a little fun every day,” and you get to decide whether that means taking a kayak for a spin, trying your skills at wake surfing, heading out for a bike ride on trails or rolling country roads, or enjoying quiet time on your cottage deck with views of the Adirondack Mountains. There are so many ways that you can take a deep breath and find tranquility at Basin Harbor. Even in the presence of COVID-19 we have so much to be thankful for. We are thankful for family, for nature, for our guests, and our incredible community here in Vermont.
While 2020 looks a bit different, our team is working hard to provide the safest environment possible for our guests and staff. We are closely following the guidance of health experts and Governor Phil Scott as this news is being disseminated. There are several press conferences happening per week in Vermont and we are keeping apprised of any detail that is relevant to our operation at Basin Harbor and are updating our procedures as necessary. Our team has reviewed our standard offerings and we are operating under new guidelines and social distancing protocol. We have the luxury of open space and private cottages, but will be more limited in our operation of certain activities and offerings this year. That being said, we hope that these temporary changes will not adversely impact your stay. We are dedicated to offering you the authentic hospitality you have come to know and love at Basin Harbor. We are all in this together and are here to support each other. Reach out to us with any questions you have, we are here for you. The information that follows is subject to change, may be modified based on occupancy levels, and will be updated as often as possible. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions that might be helpful:
Traveling to Basin Harbor from Outside Vermont
If I am coming from out of state, am I allowed to stay at Basin Harbor?
Residents of other states who live in counties across New England and New York that have a similar active COVID-19 caseload to Vermont may enter the state for leisure travel without quarantining.
The State of Vermont has determined that any county with less than 400 active cases of COVID-19 per one million residents meets this criteria. The Agency will publish an updated map weekly identifying quarantine and non-quarantine counties throughout New England and New York.
I'm coming to Vermont from a county with a high-COVID-case ratio. Can I still come?
Yes! You may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine (7 day needs to be followed by a negative COVID test) in your home state!
- Within the 24 hour window prior to your arrival you will need to fill out the State of Vermont’s Certificate of Compliance form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The State of Vermont strongly encourages guests to register with their Sara Alert system; a daily survey to attest that you and your family members are COVID-symptom-free.
As mentioned above, travelers may complete either: (i) a 14-day quarantine; or (ii) a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test – in their home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions if they drive directly from their home via their personal vehicle.
Travelers may complete either: (i) a 14-day quarantine; or (ii) a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test – in a Vermont lodging establishment regardless of destination origin or manner of travel (travelers must stay in their quarantine location for the duration of quarantine other than to travel to and from a test site).
If I want to complete my quarantine at Basin Harbor, how does that work?
If you are from a county with a high COVID-19 caseload as deemed by State of Vermont Guidance and you do not certify that you have quarantined in your home state before arrival to Vermont- you are welcome to quarantine in your accommodation. You will need to stay in your accommodation to complete a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine (7 day needs to be followed by a negative test) in Vermont. We can deliver meals to your accommodation, you’ll have access to WiFi and can work remotely, and if your accommodation has a deck you’re welcome to enjoy time outside there.
Are you hosting large group events on property? What are Vermont’s regulations?
Having groups meet, reconnect, unwind, and share in momentous occasions is at the heart of what we do here at Basin Harbor. At the beginning of May, Governor Phil Scott launched the RestartVT Phased Reopening Plan. At a measured pace based with eyes on the data and success in each stage, Vermont businesses are beginning to reopen operations adhering to new guidelines and safety procedures. Basin Harbor is closely following guidance as it is disseminated by the government with regards to hosting gatherings in the state. The information is dynamic, continuously updated, and we can only plan based on what we learn each day.
- We have been working closely with guests hosting large group events at Basin Harbor in 2020 to postpone to later in our season or to 2021. We appreciate how flexible groups have been in this matter. We all have a common goal in mind- to convene and celebrate together when we can do so safely! Contact your sales manager to discuss options
- Effective June 26, event venues serving the public may accommodate:
- Operations may not exceed 75 total people for inside operations or events regardless of their fire safety occupancy or square footage calculation; AND
- Operations may not exceed 150 people for outside operations or events regardless of their fire safety occupancy or square footage calculation.
- Staff and vendors are not counted in the maximum number.
Sanitization & Safety
What additional sanitation and safety measures will be in place at Basin Harbor?
The safety of our guests and staff is our top priority. We will be following all guidelines as laid out by the CDC and the Vermont Department of Health to maintain the highest possible standards of cleanliness and sanitation. Every guest touchpoint and interaction has been considered and procedures will continue to evolve. Highlight of measures currently in place:
- Required use of face coverings for staff and guests within 6 feet of another person outside of their trusted family unit
- Required use of gloves for staff determined by needs of the task that they are performing
- Installation of automatic hand sanitizer dispensers in public spaces
- Amplified public space and private meeting space sanitation schedules
- Increased frequency of cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces
- Availability of sanitation supplies for use in any public space
- Daily health check self-certification of staff members before each shift
- Employees will not be permitted to work if they exhibit signs/symptoms consistent with infection
- Each employee will learn and sign off on department specific Virus Prevention Cleaning Protocols
- Pre-arrival form regarding signs/symptoms/travel history for guests
- Absolute quarantining of guest/staff showing signs or expressing that they have symptoms
- Addition of signage and standard markings in public spaces to ensure social distancing
Are there new policies surrounding housekeeping services in guest accommodations? May I request “no service” if that is what I prefer?
We are here to serve. We want you to feel safe and relaxed during your time at Basin Harbor. That being said, we have made the decision to put some additional safety precautions in place. Your health and safety, and that of our staff members is of the utmost importance. In order to provide the safest experience possible, a staff member will not enter your room while you are present at all during your stay, and some of our services will be altered to minimize contact.
- We will not be offering any daily housekeeping service during your stay. If you need additional linens, towels, or guest supplies, please call or text us, and they will be delivered to your accommodation and left at your door by a staff member wearing a mask.
- If you have trash that needs to be picked up, please place the bag(s) outside of your accommodation between 9am and 2pm and it will be picked up.
- If you are requesting an amenity or food & beverage item(s) to be delivered to your accommodation, they will be dropped off at your door by a staff member wearing a mask. We request that you be present in the accommodation for this delivery so that food does not sit outside, and so that you can sign a check if it is applicable.
- Reduced number of staff in accommodations during service
- Housekeepers to change gloves between servicing accommodations
- Removal of “high touch” items from guest accommodations (ie. magazines, pens, pads, etc.)
Check-in Process, Communication & Guest Service, Check-out Process
What are the options for check-in? Do I have to visit the lobby and front desk?
While we would love to see you when you get here. You don’t have to come into the lobby to check-in. Our team is arranging low-touch options for this process. Please just let us know what your preference is in advance of your arrival. Our Front Desk will be equipped with a plexiglass barrier for enhanced safety.
- Pre-arrival calls to verify all plans for your stay and ascertain approximate arrival time so we can expedite low-touch check-in when you get to Basin Harbor
- Text us as you are getting close to Basin Harbor – our staff will greet you outside the lodge (at a social distance and with proper PPE). Check-in packet and sanitized keys may be picked up curbside or made available in your accommodation upon arrival
- All materials you receive will be sanitized in advance of your arrival or will be single use/recyclable, such as our paper resort maps
- Surfaces at the front desk will be sanitized between guest use and computers, phones and supplies will be cleaned repeatedly throughout shift
- Staff will sanitize hands and pens between each guest interaction
How do I make plans to do things while I am on property? May I speak to a concierge?
- Guides and menus will take the form of single-use paper flyers this season. These will provide information about this season’s services as well as any contact phone/text numbers you will need. Paper items will be recycled by housekeeping after each stay
- Text messages will be sent out with information about daily activities on property
- We will have a concierge on staff that you may visit with from a social distance, call to make reservations, or you are welcome to send us a text message for anything you need
- You may sign up for activities on our website.
Is anything changing with regard to the retail shops?
- We will not be utilizing the Breezeway gift shop space this year because it does not allow enough space for socially distanced shopping
- Over the past few years we have been building a more robust online gift shop presence. We will make sure that a wide variety of gifts are available for online purchase – https://basin-harbor-gift-shop.myshopify.com/collections/all
- Incidental items will be available for purchase at the front desk – i.e. toothpaste, deodorant, Advil, feminine care etc. They may also be delivered to your accommodation.
- Gifts, Basin Harbor branded clothing, and food & beverage items will all be available at Harbor Store
May I still rent a golf cart during my stay? Will bellmen still be available for rides around the property and to help me and my family as needed?
- Yes, carts are available for private rental. Please call in advance to reserve one for your stay
- Bellstaff will be available for transportation around property in golf carts or mini vans, and will be wearing appropriate PPE
- All vehicles will be sanitized between uses
- Delivery of firewood, ice, food & beverage amenities, and help starting fires etc. remain part of the duties of our Housemen and Bellstaff. We are happy to assist you to your level of comfort, whether that is to the interior of your cottage or to the door
What about check-out? Will we have to go to the lobby?
- You will not be required to visit the lobby in person to check out. You may call or text us to notify us that you are leaving
- An itemized statement of your charges will be delivered to your accommodation the night before departure, or your folio can be emailed to you. Let us know your preference
- Your final, zero balance statement will be emailed to you
Food & Beverage
What dining outlets are available for me to enjoy as a member of the community or during my stay?
While we are striving to offer a comparable culinary experience to our standard season- there are certainly some changes that need to be made to safeguard our guests and staff.
- Ardelia’s (our Main Dining Room) open for breakfast and breakfast takeout/delivery. Ardelia’s buffet is modified to include action stations where a member of the Basin Harbor staff serves guests.
- The Red Mill Restaurant is open for Lunch and Dinner. Reservations or call ahead seating is required.
- Outdoor dining, takeout and delivery will be available at The Red Mill
- There is a tent outside of The Red Mill with picnic tables that we will offer table side service!
- We will also have a QR code for the menu so you can look at it on your phone instead of a physical menu
We know that your meals at Basin Harbor are an important part of your experience and we can promise that they will be more delicious than ever!
Some things we will have to forgo this year:
- Ranger Room Lunch Buffet
- North Dock Buffets – we will host North Dock dinners based on occupancy, but with a different format
Things that are changing:
- Physical removal of tables and chairs in dining/bar areas to enable social distancing
- Increased outdoor seating availability property wide
- Adjusted menus and service techniques to meet guidelines and to safeguard the dining experience for guests
- Outdoor cocktail events such as Sunday Hospitality hour will include individually packaged charcuterie and snacks so guests can enjoy mingling with our hosts at a social distance
Things that are better than ever:
- Increased and enhanced takeout and delivery experience- breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Enhanced beverage options at the Harbor Store
- Enhanced food and beverage amenity list with creative options from our culinary team
- NEW Basin Harbor-cue Food Truck, Fri and Sat 11:30am to 7pm, Sun 11:30am to 4:30pm
- NEW Executive Chef, Chris Bonnivier and incredible new menus!
- NEW Mizuchi Sushi bar available Wed through Sun, 12pm to 9pm in the Champlain Lounge (not available as part of a meal plan)
What are the changes to recreational activities available at Basin Harbor?
With 700 acres, Basin Harbor is the ideal place to social distance and have fun while doing it. Everything about our property encourages you to explore and get outside while you are here. Lake Champlain, the natural beauty of Vermont and the Adirondack Mountains will be an amazing backdrop while you get a breath of fresh air this summer. Many of our standard activities will be available to you- hiking, biking, swimming, and tennis to name a few. While we have closed the golf course for the season, the driving range and putting green will be open for your enjoyment.
Some things we will have to forgo this year:
- Bingo, family feud etc. will not be offered this season because of group size- these offerings can be available privately if requested and reserved in advance (additional fee for Big Guys Entertainment will apply)
Things that are changing:
- Maintaining social distance, limiting sign-ups for activities
- Campfire s’mores individual kits will be available at front desk
Things that are better than ever:
- New fleet of Specialized bikes
- More options for private family activities and adventures will be available with advance request. Please contact email@example.com
Pool, Treehouse Wellness Center, Fitness & Massage Services
Will these amenities be open or available? What changes?
- The pool is open; lounge chairs will be spaced further apart. There is a staff member sanitizing pool chairs.
- Pool bar services are yet to be determined based on government guidelines
- Limited number of sign-ups for indoor classes at the fitness studio
- Increased outdoor classes on the weekly schedule such as Yoga in the Orchard Garden
- Reduced capacity for guests utilizing the Treehouse at one time. This will be monitored by Basin Harbor staff
- Amplified sanitation schedule of entire wellness center, including deep cleaning more regularly
- Availability of sanitation supplies for use in Treehouse Wellness Center
- Massage services will not be offered in 2020
Beach & Waterfront
Are the beach and waterfront area available for use during my stay?
Enjoying the beach and waterfront is a highlight of any stay at Basin Harbor. These areas will be open for your use, with just a few changes to the way we operate.
- Lounge chairs will be spaced out to allow for proper social distancing
- Groups will be limited in size
- While the EScape will still operate, a reduced number of guests will be allowed on board at one time
- Swimming in the lake will be allowed
- Boat rentals will be available (power and non-powered watercraft will be sanitized regularly)
- Waterfront staff will be available to assist you (equipped with proper PPE)
- Operation of the Burgee Bar will be subject to governmental guidelines
Is Basin Harbor offering the usual options for kids camp this season? I have heard about a lot of camps closing this summer because of standards and regulations that are difficult to achieve.
Kids Camp has been a Basin Harbor tradition for many years; we have reviewed the standards and regulations, and decided that Kids Camp as we have known it is not possible this year…however, we are trying to be creative during these challenging times, and want to be able to provide you with some services and activities while you are here.
- Our traditional daily Kid’s Camp and Dinner Camp will not be available as we begin the season. Should guidelines relax as the summer progresses, we may be able to resume a format similar to the way it has been in the past. We will be sure to update our website with this information as it becomes available. IF this becomes possible, maximum capacity for any activity will be limited.
- We will have babysitting services available with advance notice. All babysitters have been pre-qualified by Basin Harbor; payment is made directly to them, as they work on a referral basis, and are not resort employees
- In lieu of the daily camp, we would be glad to arrange private activities for up to 2-3 trusted family units. Advance request and coordination required. Please discuss with our Reservations team or Concierge and they will point you in the right direction to plan.
- Playgrounds are open and have CDC signage posted.
- There are many activities at Basin Harbor for children to enjoy.
The Boat Club
Are you allowing for transient boat slip rental this season? What is available to us if we dock overnight? Can we just tie up for a few hours to have some food and drinks? What about boat rentals?
The Boat Club at Basin Harbor will be open for season long slip rental, transient slip rental, and boat rental. We allow up to 3 hours at no charge, so that you may enjoy the grounds and any of our food and beverage outlets.
- Reservations are required for overnight slip rental. With advance notice, we can ensure a smooth experience, and make sure that all COVID-19 protocols are being followed – https://dockwa.com/explore/destination/eyce9x-the-boat-club-at-basin-harbor
- If you dock overnight, we will request that you fill out a pre-arrival email form with 4-8 questions regarding signs/symptoms/travel history. We are putting measures in place to provide as much of a contactless check in / check out process as possible
- As an overnight guest of The Boat Club, you have access to the Resort grounds and amenities. Takeout/delivery of food from the Red Mill to the waterfront is available
- The Boat Club also offers boat rentals so you can get out on Lake Champlain this summer. Enjoy relaxing on a pontoon boat, go tubing with the kids, or try out your skills wakesurfing. Rent a boat to take out on your own or have a driver from our staff (equipped with proper PPE) captain the boat while you enjoy an on the water activity. Please call us in advance at 1-800-622-4000 to make a reservation to rent a boat or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Boats will be sanitized between each use
What is happening with The Golf Club and what are my options for 2020 golfing?
While our hosts previously made the difficult decision to close the golf course for the 2020 season, Basin Harbor is very fortunate to have loyal supporters! A group of “Friends of Basin Harbor Golf” have worked together to raise donations to keep the golf course mowed for this season to help create a bridge to 2021.
We could not be more grateful for this opportunity and we are pleased to announce that golf is back for Basin Harbor Resort Guests as of July 1, 2020. Due to limitations, we will not be able to open to the public. Check out the golf page for more info! https://www.basinharbor.com/golf
Postponement Opportunities & Cancellation Policy
What is the cancellation policy for existing and new reservations? We still want to come to Basin Harbor. What are our options to postpone our stay?
- Existing leisure reservations are subject to either a 30-day cancellation policy (for July & August stays) or a 14-day cancellation policy (for all other months). We understand the concerns around travel this year; if you need to cancel, we will gladly move your deposit to comparable dates in 2021 if you wish
- Basin Harbor will be here when the time is right for you. We want you to be able to enjoy your stay. If you decide that you need to postpone your trip, we understand. Please call our team at 1-800-622-4000
Are there any other things I should know about COVID-19 and Basin Harbor?
We understand how it may be daunting to think about travel during all of this. Basin Harbor is a place where you can spread out and stay safe, while still enjoying a variety of activities. Or, you can sit on the deck of your cottage and soak in the natural beauty. We are doing everything possible to ensure a safe, clean and exceptional experience this year. Our attentiveness to this virus is heightened, and we guarantee you will see it in the way we operate with your safety in mind. Please stay tuned to our website for updates as it relates to procedures and out of state visitor guidelines. We hope to see you soon!